If you are a yoga enthusiast, moving your yoga mat to the gym or your yoga studio can be a point of concern for you.
But if you have a bike, that may present itself as the best means of carrying your yoga mat to anywhere.
However, in such cases, this may turn out to be a difficult task logistically. Although not all yoga mats are designed to be toted on a bike, it can be challenging to handle the mat whilst also riding a bike.
Nevertheless, several carriers or methods can be a good way for yogis like you to easily transport their yoga mat to a yoga class on a bike.
So, in this blog post, we'll show you how to easily carry a yoga mat on a bike without hassles.
Related post: Best Yoga Mats For Sweaty Hands and Feet
Ways To Carry A Yoga Mat On A Bike
There are several ways to transport a yoga mat on a bike. You can use a yoga bag tied with yoga mat strap, buy a rack specially made to hold yoga mats.
Alternatively, you could just carry the mat with you to the class using an available bike attachment. Here are some of the most common and effective methods of carrying a yoga yoga on a bike:
1. Using a yoga bag or backpack
A yoga bag is the most convenient way to transport a yoga mat on a bike. It also serves a variety of other functions which include storing yoga mats.
The greatest feature is that a yoga bag can also be used to transport other accessories. If you practice yoga regularly, it is best to store and transport your yoga mat in a yoga bag.
A yoga mat strap can also be used to hold the mat to the bag or backpack. If you are carrying the yoga mat in a bag, make sure it has a strong strap that will keep the yoga mat in place.
If you are going to use a backpack, ensure the yoga mat straps are secure and tight so it does not move around.
It is suggested that you purchase a side shoulder yoga bag that you can carry while riding your bike.
They are comfortable, simple to use, and completely safe. Just make sure the bag or backpack you purchase is large enough to hold your yoga mat and also comfortable to carry.
Benefits of using a yoga bag
- A yoga bag is a compact and lightweight method of transporting a yoga mat.
- Almost all yoga mat bags have a lot of extra space and compartments for other items.
- Without strapping anything down, you can have all of your yoga gear packed up and ready for yoga practice.
- The bag will not add weight to your bike or burden your shoulders.
The disadvantage of yoga bag
- The only disadvantage is that you might just have to spend more money to buy a new one if you do not have one already.
2. Bike rack and a bungee cord
A bike rack is a popular way of carrying anything while riding and can be found on almost any bike.
However, most bike manufacturers are no longer providing bike racks, so you may want to install them at an additional cost.
A bike rack, on the other hand, is inexpensive and simple to use for transporting a yoga mat on a bike. If your bike has a rear rack, you can easily tote your mat with it.
A bungee cord is required to fasten, carry and secure your yoga mat on a bike rack. Many people prefer to attach ropes and bike straps to the mat instead of bungee cords.
Carrying yoga supplies is simple if you have a bike rack. Simply pick a bungee cord to secure it.
With this, you ought to be able to pack your mat, towel, some snacks, spare clothes, and other accessories there.
Benefits of a bike rack and bungee cord
- It's a cheap way to carry a yoga mat on a bike.
- You'll have extra space for other items such as yoga blocks, yoga blanket, and more.
- There is no need for a yoga bag! It feels really good to roll without a bag.
Disadvantage of using a bike rack and bungee cords
- Your mat is subjected to dirt as well as other weather conditions such as snow or rain.
Helpful Hint: When trying to attach something to a bike rack with a bungee cord, the best way of ensuring your yoga gear is secure is to form an "X" with the bungee cord on the object.
3. Using bike straps
Bike straps are another excellent way to transport your yoga mat while riding your bike.
Saddle straps have long been a popular way to transport a mat. If your bike has a saddle, it can be used as an additional seat.
All you need are bike straps. After you've installed the bike straps, all you have to do is put the yoga mat under the straps and tighten them.
Bike straps can make it easier to transport a yoga mat. Just make sure it's in good working order and secure for use before rolling down the street.
Benefits of using a bike straps
- It is a less expensive method than a rear rack or yoga bag; bike straps can be purchased online.
- You get to use what you have as straps! This is unquestionably the most affordable option.
- You can still transport your backpack and all of your extra gear.
- No need for bike straps on the rear rack.
Disadvantage of using a bike straps
- There is no extra space for other yoga accessories.
4. Carrying yoga mat with Water Bottle Holder
A water bottle holder that is designed to attach to the front view of your bike is one way to transport your mat. This method is straightforward, easy, and efficient.
5. Carrying yoga mat with Basket
Another option for transporting your yoga mat is by using a folding basket, like the one used for groceries. Simply clamp the basket around the front or back wheel to attach it to your bike.
Things To Remember When Carrying a Yoga Mat on a Bike
- Make sure your bike rack is large enough to hold your mat.
- Double-check that the mat is firmly attached to the bike rack. You can do it by tying or strapping it to the bike rack using a strap.
There are a few things to consider if you want to transport your yoga mat in a yoga bag or backpack:
- Ensure that the bag or backpack is large enough to accommodate your mat.
- Second, choose a bag or backpack that is easy to carry and conforms to your body so that it does not bounce around while you are cycling.
How To Select The Best Yoga Mat Bag for Use?
Nobody wants to carry messy or awkward bags to yoga class, work, or the gym.
You sure will want something large enough to hold everything you need, including your yoga mat, which can be heavy and clumsy on its own.
The ideal mat bag should complement your lifestyle. Here are four things to look out for when purchasing the best mat bag:
Yoga mat bag should be designed from a strong material that will last for a considerable length of time.
You might be carrying this backpack everywhere, simply pick a bag made of water-resistant, stain-resistant, and puncture-resistant material or fabric.
The bag's durability should as well extend to its other components such as straps, base, and padding.
2. Check to confirm that it can accommodate a yoga mat
A standard-sized yoga mat should be secured in the backpack. You can attach the mat to the sides, inside, top, or bottom of the bag.
Measure the diameter of your preferred mat and make a comparison to the specifications of the bag.
3. Check for the storage capacity
You would not be carrying only a yoga mat in the backpack. A mat bag should be large enough to hold your mat and have extra space for other items.
To help you pick the right yoga bag, we've reviewed A Roundup of the Best Yoga Mat Bags here! Check it out!
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you use a yoga mat under a bike?
Placing a yoga mat under your bike can provide some comfort and support, which might be extremely helpful if you are new to biking or aren't used to riding bikes for long hours.
Furthermore, if you usually prefer to slide around on your bike, using a mat can effectively protect it from scratches or damage.
There is no reason why you cannot place a yoga mat under your bike, as the benefits can be substantial.
How do you mount a Yoga mat on a bike?
A cost-effective and most convenient method of attaching a yoga mat to a bike is to use a bungee cord or bike straps with a rear rack.
What is the best way to attach a yoga mat to a backpack?
A yoga mat can be attached to a backpack using hooks and straps.
How to tie a yoga mat with a strap on a bike?
The most popular approach to tying a yoga mat is just to roll one end and then use the included strap.
This could be difficult because yoga mats are heavy, and getting them onto the saddle straps can be incredibly hard.
It can be difficult to transport the rolled up mat on a bike. The steps below show how to tie a yoga mat to a bike using a strap:
- Keep it in place with the Yoga strap.
- Pick your carrying strap before actually unrolling your yoga mat, or you'll have to halt and pick it up later.
- With one hand, hold the strap, and use the other on the bike handles.
- Ensure not to trip over your yoga mat while unrolling it, it will be hard to control your bike.
- A wet yoga mat will slide and slip more than usual. So, make sure your mat isn't wet.
Is a yoga mat bag necessary?
It is not necessary, however, if you want a perfect means of carrying or storing your mat and protecting it from dirt or dust, a yoga mat bag is essential.
Conclusion - How To Carry Yoga Mat on Bike
Yoga mats are quite heavy, and even heavier when wet. So, riding with it on a bike to a yoga class may appear to be a tough task.
While there are numerous ways to transport a yoga mat on a bike which include being attached to a bike rack, carried in a backpack, tied with a bike strap, and so on, some are more convenient than others.
However, once you've figured out your routine and the best way to transport your yoga mat on your bike, riding to the yoga studio will become second nature.
You must ensure that your yoga mat is properly tied for safe transport. Riding a bike with a sagging yoga mat can be hazardous, and you may also lose your mat.
As a result, it is important to use a dependable method to safeguard your yoga mat while cycling.